Gartner has noted that the growth of the public cloud services market will soar to $331 billion by 2022. AWS has played a pivotal role behind such staggering figures. While going cloud seems effortless to some, the reality is quite different. A dysfunctional cloud migration strategy can cost your company a million dollars. Considering AWS under the loop, this blog will shed some light on the intricacies of the overall cloud migration strategy and migrating your existing applications to the AWS cloud. We have prepared an AWS migration checklist for you to consider before making the big move.
Sid Nag, research VP at Gartner, quoted that “ Cloud services are shaking up the industry.” In this tech-driven world, where cloud seems omnipresent, cloud migration is an optimal approach to deal with such a quintillion amount of data. As the essence of the public cloud is getting a lot of traction with every passing moment, Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the market-dominant by almost owning a 35% market share. If you’re planning to migrate your on-premise server to the AWS cloud but don’t know where to begin, you’re at the right place. This blog will answer all your questions and concerns regarding on-premise to AWS cloud migration.
AWS Migration Checklist: Before Migration
- In this phase, most of the concerns revolve around change management regarding IT assets. It is essential to train the staff to achieve a seamless migration.
- Keeping the overall business objectives and goals under consideration, make sure your cloud strategy synchronizes with them.
- The next step is selecting the right cloud partner that has the rich technical expertise and hands-on experience in migrating to AWS. AWS is the market leader, and it can help you overcome the issues with which you are struggling.
- AWS certified partners can guide you on how to maximize operational efficiency and withstand the traditional IT infrastructure-related redundancies.
Accelerate Your Cloud Journey With Zymr
AWS Migration Checklist: During Migration
Steps involved in AWS migration are:
- Planning & assessment
- AWS migration tools
- AWS cloud storage operations
- Migration strategies
- Application migration options.
Planning and Assessment:
- The financial assessment is crucial as you have to examine the costs involved in the entire migration procedure. Comparing the costs of the on-premise center with that of cloud-based infrastructure can give insights on which option is worth opting for.
- As data plays a fundamental role in devising strategies, security assessment takes into consideration security threats, risks, and data concerns, this assessment will enlighten you on the datasets you should keep in the house, and the ones you should migrate.
- Following this, begin your migration process with the technical and functional assessment. Identify the data and applications which need to be transferred first. It includes decisions over cloud-first, resource management, configuration tools, etc.
AWS Migration Tools:
- Specific tools can help you overcome certain physical limitations, and these tools, in turn, facilitate the data migration as well.
- Some of the Amazon-managed cloud data migration or AWS migration tools which you can leverage include AWS’s snowmobile (exabytes of data), direct connect (AWS regional data center), export/import snowball (petabytes of data), storage gateway (cache data in a hybrid model), technology partnerships (push backups or archives to cloud), kinesis firehose (collect and comprehend multiple streaming data sources), and transfer acceleration (migrate recurring items).
AWS Cloud Storage Operations:
- Storage is an important issue in the AWS cloud. The storage option is decided based on cost, availability, durability, response time, accessibility, size of transferable items, cache-ability, consistency, and update frequency.
- For smoother migration, there are two important strategies involved in AWS, i.e., forklift migration, and hybrid migration.
- The Forklift migration strategy is about “pick it up all at once and move it to the cloud.” It is best suited for self-contained, stateless, and tightly coupled applications. This approach not only reduces your time of handling the in-house IT infrastructure but can also help you focus on resource allocation and optimization. However, those who seek elasticity and scalability it might not be an ideal strategy.
- The Hybrid migration strategy is best suited for such companies that have numerous applications, while some are migrated to the cloud; others are kept intact. It is a low-risk approach that offers optimal results, but at the same time, it is time-consuming.
Application Migration Options:
- There are certain application migration options available, some of which are live migration, data migration, app containerization, and VM conversion.
- Live migration is transferring a running application from the physical setup to the cloud without causing any disconnections in the application.
- Data migration is synchronizing the data which is stored in the computer and the one on the cloud by keeping storage type and file format under consideration.
- App containerization is an OS-level virtualization method for deploying distributed apps. VM conversion can transform virtual machine disk into a format that is accepted at AWS and can transform the data via APIs.
AWS Migration Checklist: After Migration
- Testing plays a pivotal role in devising the post-migration strategy. To reap the benefits of the AWS cloud, you need to understand AWS enterprise support and its services like Amazon CloudFront, Amazon Elastic MapReduce, and auto-scaling.
- Optimization is vital in the post-migration phase. Optimization in terms of cost as you have to pay only for the infrastructure in AWS. You continuously need to understand, monitor, examine, and observe for more insights on load patterns to manage the cloud environment.
- Cloud monitoring is equally important after migration. Some of the migration tools which you can use are New Relic, APPDYNAMICS, and AWS CloudWatch Logs to make AWS monitoring hasslefree,
Challenges and efficiency in cloud migration.
- Challenges are part and parcel in the process of migration. However, the key is how effectively you can handle those challenges. Some of the inevitable challenges are related to compliance, security, operating system, cost, data storage, and migration tools.
- The ultimate success of a cloud strategy depends on how efficient the cloud migration was. Efficiency in the cloud migration depends on a multitude of factors like loosely coupled applications, application architecture, application compatibility, costs involved, security issues, and efforts involved.
Let’s talk about Zymr Cloud AWS Migration Services.
As an industry veteran, we hold hands-on experience over migration. Our AWS cloud migration services include infrastructure migration, data migration, platform migration, and app migration.
We can ensure a seamless, secure, and successful cloud migration. We intensively work to make this complex process lucrative to you through our well-defined process.
The process incorporates all the aspects related to discovery, assessment & Planning, Cloud building, Migration, testing & deployment, and Govern & management.
Accelerate your cloud journey by choosing our top-of-the-line AWS cloud migration services to streamline the workload migration. Contact our expert team today!